Sunday, August 17, 2008

Race Day!

Arriving at a race at 5:00 a.m. when your wave doesn't start until 7:55 a.m. is just insane. So we decided to get here at 4:30 a.m. so we could catch the extra half hour sleep in the car!

Swim start was cold, temps in the upper 50's and windy. Steve was nervous. I could tell because he put on his wetsuit, told me he was going in the lake to warm up and when he turned to go I could see that his wetsuit was velcroed at the neck but was also unzipped! I said "honey, don't you want to zip your wetsuit up?" The he went in the woods to pee, and came out without his cap and googles. He was definitely in airhead mode this morning.

He had a great swim though. I didn't have my watch but I'm thinking he finished in a little over 30 minutes. He was only 1:30 down from the leader in his age group getting out on the bike. The leader who, as it turns out, is some french canadian guy who was in the cabin right next to us! I heard his wife talking to Steve our first morning here. As soon as I heard he had won his age group at IM Brazil I was checking results. His times are so close to Steve's that it is unreal. He is a bit faster in the swim but not on the bike, and not on the run. It should make for a very exciting race.

I'm heading out now to catch the bike finish. I can hear the pros finishing and I was so excited to see Chrissie Wellington and Simon Lessing but honestly once the race got going the only racers I'm even thinking about are Steve and the guys in Steve's age group that are ahead of him.

Pics to come.

No comments: